Daily Current Affairs for UPSC, IAS, UPPSC/UPPCS, BPSC, MPPSC, RPSC and All State PCS Examinations
“Statistics Day” to be Celebrated on 29th June, 2020
- The Government has been celebrating the Statistics Day, to popularize the use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitize the public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies.
ABOUT STATISTICS DAY
- STATISTICS DAY is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Prof. P C Mahalanobis, on 29thJune, in recognition of his invaluable contribution in establishing the National Statistical System.
- Theme: SDG- 3 (Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages) & SDG- 5 (Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls)
- This year it has been decided to celebrate the Statistics Day, 2020 virtually, in view of the travel and safety advisories on account of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- In 2019, the Ministry instituted a new award, namely, the Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics for recognizing outstanding achievement of official statisticians in Central Government, State Governments and Institutions.
- The Ministry recognizes the outstanding contribution for high quality research work in the field of applied and theoretical statistics benefitting the official statistical system through the Prof. C. R. Rao and Prof. P. V. Sukhatme awards, awarded in alternate years. For 2020, the award winner for Prof. P. V. Sukhatme will be declared during the event.
- It is expected that these events will raise public awareness, especially among the younger generation, about the role of Statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation.
Government Extended the Deadline to Bid for Air India
- Issuing a corrigendum to the Expression of Interest (EoI) for the sale of Air India, the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) extends deadline to bid for Air India by 2 months till August 31
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) was set up as a separate Department on 10th December, 1999 and was later renamed as Ministry of Disinvestment form 6th September, 2001.
- This department was renamed as Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) from 14th April, 2016.
- Promote people's ownership of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) to share in their prosperity through disinvestment.
- Efficient management of public investment in CPSEs for accelerating economic development and augmenting Government's resources for higher expenditure.
- List CPSEs on stock exchanges to promote people's ownership through public participation and improving efficiencies of CPSEs through accountability to its shareholders.
- To bring in operational efficiencies in CPSEs through strategic disinvestment, ensuring their greater contribution to economy.
- Adopt a professional approach for financial management of CPSEs in the national interest and disinvestment aimed at expanding public participation in ownership of CPSEs.