Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS Online), 2021
The Netherlands government hosted an online international Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS Online) on 25 January 2021. CAS Online builds on the advances of the UN Climate Action Summit by showcasing pioneering solutions to the climate emergency, and sustaining momentum through to UNFCCC’s COP26 in Glasgow in 2021. As the world recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, the CAS will deliver action and inspire change to help societies build back better. It will aim to help realize the transitions required for a climate-resilient world.
India welcomed the Climate Adaptation Summit and applauds the leadership of Prime Minister Mark Rutte towards this cause. Indian Prime Minister addressed the summit and focused on following things :
- India is targeting 450 gigawatt of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
- India is promoting LED lights and saving 38 million tons of carbon-di-oxide emissions annually.
- India is going to restore 26 million hectares of degraded land by 2030.
- India is providing clean cooking fuel to 80 million rural households.
- India is connecting 64 million households to piped water supply.
- India's initiatives have not been restricted to India alone.
- The International Solar Alliance and the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure show the power of global climate partnership.
- Indian Prime Minister called upon the Global Commission on Adaptation to work with CDRI to enhance infrastructure resilience globally.
- Indian prime minister invited all countries for the Third International Conference on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure later this year in India.
Solar bank plan in India :
The steering committee of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) is set to meet shortly to clear the decks for the World Solar Bank (WSB), which is expected to be headquartered in India.
The country may become its lead member by taking a 30% stake in it through a $600 million equity commitment.
This would be the first multilateral development bank (MDB) headquartered in India and comes even as Beijing has taken the lead in creating the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and the New Development Bank (NDB).