Info-paedia : National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India ( NAFED)
Why in News?
- Recently, the Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has
directed NAFED to contribute to and promote the ‘International Year of the
Millet’ 2023 on a global scale.
About NAFED :
- NAFED is an apex organisation of marketing cooperatives for agricultural
produce in India.
- It was established on the auspicious day of Gandhi Jayanti on 2nd
October 1958 to promote the trade of agricultural produce and forest
resources across the nation.
- It is registered under Multi State Co-operative Societies Act.
- With its headquarters in New Delhi, NAFED has four regional offices in
Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata, apart from 28 zonal offices in capitals
of states and important cities.
What is Operation Greens?
- In the budget 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on
the line of “Operation Flood”, with an outlay of Rs.500 crore.
- Objective : To stabilise the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP)
crops and to ensure the availability of TOP crops throughout the country
around the year without price volatility.
What are its functions?
- It is the nodal agency to implement price stabilisation measures under
“Operation Greens” which aims to double the farmers’ income by 2022.
- Along with FCI the NAFED is involved in the procurement of oilseeds,
pulses and copra under the Price Support Scheme (PSS).