The Gist of PIB in English for UPSC, UPPSC/UPPCS, MPSC, BPSC & All State PCS Exams - 26 September 2019
1. Prime Minister honored with 'Global Goal Keeper Award' for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan -
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was awarded the 'Global Goal Keeper Award' by the Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation on September 24, 2019 for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. The Prime Minister was awarded this honor at a program organized in New York on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session.
- The Prime Minister dedicated this honor to the Indians who converted the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan into a mass movement and made it a part of their daily lives.
- After receiving the honor, the Prime Minister said, “The success of Swachh Bharat Mission is due to the people of India. They made it their movement and ensured the desired results. ”
- Describing the recognition of this honor on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Prime Minister said that the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a proof that when 130 crore Indians take an oath, they can overcome any challenge. Can be obtained. He said that India is making significant progress in realizing Mahatma Gandhi's dream of a clean India.
- The Prime Minister said, "In the past five years, a record number of toilets have been constructed in 11 crore. The mission has benefited the poor and women of the country the most." The Prime Minister said that to improve sanitation and health conditions Apart from this, construction of 11 crore toilets also encouraged economic activities in the villages.
- Regarding improving global sanitation coverage, the Prime Minister said that India is ready to share its expertise and experience with other countries so that collective efforts can be made to increase the coverage of sanitation.
- The Prime Minister also referred to India's efforts towards preventive health services through mission mode campaigns such as the Fit India Movement and Jal Jeevan Mission.
2. Mahatma Gandhi's Relevance in Today's Age-
- The Prime Minister's statement in the ECOSOC Chamber of the United Nations was Mahatma Gandhi, the focal point of India's freedom struggle, but for the moment we should also think what he would have done if Gandhi had been born in the free country?
- He fought the freedom struggle, this is important but not only the expansion of Gandhi ji's work.
- Mahatma Gandhi pioneered a social system that does not depend on the government.
- Mahatma Gandhi brought change, it is well known, but it is also fair to say that he awakened the inner strength of the people and awakened them to bring about change.
- If Gandhiji was not responsible for the freedom struggle, he would have gone ahead with the basic elements of Swaraj and self-reliance.
- This vision of Gandhiji is becoming a great medium to solve big challenges facing India today.
- In the last 5 years, we have given priority to Peoples Participation. Whether it is Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Digital India, the people are now leading these campaigns themselves. Mahatma Gandhi used to say that his life is his message. Gandhiji never tried to make an impact from his life, but his life became the cause of inspiration. Today we are living in the era of How to Impress but Gandhiji's vision was - How to Inspire.
- I want to tell you an incident related to what was the strength of Gandhiji's loyalty to democracy. When I met Queen Elizabeth of Britain a few years ago, she showed me a napkin with great emotion. This was a handkerchief made from Khadi, which Gandhi had gifted him at the time of marriage.
Think, with whom he had a conflict of principles, how much sensitivity he had in his relationship with her. He also wanted, respected and respected those who were against him, with whom he was fighting the freedom struggle. It was this commitment to principles that drew Gandhi's attention to seven such distortions that everyone should be aware of. These are
Whether it is climate change or terrorism, corruption or selfish social life, these principles of Gandhi ji act as a guide to protect humanity. I believe that this path shown by Gandhiji will prove to be a motivator in building a better world.
3. Launching of Indian Coast Guard Varaha -
- ICGS 'Varaha' is included in Coast Guard fleet. The state-of-the-art offshore patrol vessel ICGS 'Varah' is the fourth vessel among the seven vessels to be provided by L&T. It is equipped with modern navigation, communication sensors and machinery. It will be operated from the New Mangalore port on the west coast covering the Special Economic Zone to Kanyakumari.
- ICGS 'Varah' is capable of operating advanced light helicopters developed indigenously by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The vessel is equipped with extremely high speed boats, medical facilities and modern surveillance systems.
4. Malabar 2019 practice-
- The 23rd edition of the trilateral maritime exercise Malabar between the navies of India, Japan and USA is going to be held near the coast of Japan from 26 September to 4 October 2019. Indian Navy's 2 frontline ships designed and built with indigenous technology to participate in the exercise, multi-purpose guided missile warship Sahyadri and Rear Admiral Suraj Barry, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, aboard ASW Corvette Kiltan, Sasebo this morning. Arrived. Apart from warships, long-range maritime patrol fighter aircraft 'P81' has also reached Japan for this exercise. The US Navy is represented by the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS McCambell and the long-range maritime patrol fighter aircraft 'P8A'. JMSDF is participating with its Izumo class helicopter Destroyer JS Kaga, guided missile destroyers JS Samidare and Chokai and long-range maritime patrol fighter aircraft 'P1'.
- Malabar 2019 will further strengthen India-Japan-US naval cooperation and increase reciprocity based on shared values and principles. The exercise will involve complex maritime operations in the surface, subsurface and airspace and will focus on anti-submarine warfare, anti-aircraft and anti-submarine firing, maritime intrusion operations (MIOs). Apart from these, during this exercise, attention will also be paid to visit board search and seizure (VBSS) and strategic scenario based exercises at sea. In addition to these operations, the partner navies will also conduct official protocol visits, business contacts including Subject Matter Expert Exchange (SMEE), each other's onboard visits, sports competitions and social events. These events will be held during the harbor phase.
- In practice, Indian Navy ships and fighter aircraft will significantly strengthen maritime relations between the three countries and contribute to the security and stability of the region.
5. National Water Mission Award - 2019 conferred-
- The National Water Mission (NWM) of the Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Water Power has instituted the 'National Water Mission Award' to recognize excellence in water conservation, efficient water use and sustainable water management practices.
- National Water Mission (NWM) has set 5 goals and 39 strategies in the mission document. In Goal 4, a strategy of the National Water Mission provides for the promotion of organizations / companies through awards for water conservation and proper use of water. Therefore, NWM has instituted National Water Mission Award to recognize excellence in water conservation, proper water use and sustainable water management practices.
Awards are given in 10 categories under the 5 goals of the National Water Mission. These categories are as follows:
- To bring comprehensive water database in public domain.
- Evaluation of the impact of climate change on water resources.
- To encourage the work of citizens and the state for water conservation and strengthening.
- Focusing on vulnerable areas including highly exploited areas.
- Increase water use efficiency by 20 percent. (Local person / farmer / citizen)
- Increase water use efficiency by 20 percent. (Water use associations / self-help groups / resident welfare associations)
- Increase water use efficiency by 20 percent. (Public agencies - urban local bodies / cities, government organizations)