The Gist of PIB in English for UPSC, UPPSC/UPPCS, MPSC, BPSC & All State PCS Exams - 25 September 2019
1. Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 16th Global SME Business Summit-
- The Union Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and Road Transport and Highways Minister has said that reduction in cost of capital, logistics and electricity are important to make the Indian MSME sector globally competitive. Shri Gadkari inaugurated the 16th Global SME Business Summit 2019 in New Delhi today.
- The summit is organized every year by the Ministry of MSE and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). The theme of this year's summit is to make Indian MSMEs globally competitive.
- Mr. Gadkari called for domestic and foreign investment and cooperation in this sector and said that India's MSME sector has immense potential for growth and employment generation. He said that integrated development of rural and agro based enterprises along with city based enterprises is the priority of the government. He said that in rural areas honey, bamboo, textiles, biofuels, water transport, fisheries, food processing and urban, defense, railways, highways, waterways and other industries, there are plenty of schemes for development in the ancillary units. He called upon investors to come forward and invest and cooperate.
- Mr. Gadkari said that the government aims to increase MMME's current share of 29 percent to 50 percent of GDP in the next five years and increase its contribution to exports from 49 percent to 60 percent. He said that to meet these goals there is a need to reduce the cost of logistics, electricity and capital.
- Ministry is discussing with ADB, KFW and World Bank for loan assistance for cheaper capital. 200 SMEs are registered in the stock market and Mr. Gadkari is requesting other companies to be registered. The problem of MSMEs related to late payments is also being considered. Mr. Gadkari said that the U.K. The Sinha committee report will be implemented soon.
- Shri Gadkari stressed the need for energy audit and energy efficient technologies to reduce the cost of electricity and logistics. He said that roof top solar plants would be provided to MSMEs in collaboration with KFW. He also said that logistics costs can be reduced by using water transport.
- Mr. Gadkari said that his ministry would soon launch the e-commerce website 'Bharat Mart' to enable MSMEs to sell their products in local as well as international markets.
- On this occasion, MSME Secretary Dr. Arun Kumar Panda informed that the Ministry is in the process of developing a digital MSME portal, which will act as a virtual or virtual meeting place for all stakeholders in the region. He said that currently more than 7.5 lakh MSMEs are registered with the Ministry, it will provide them a platform where they can connect globally to meet their needs related to funds, knowledge, technology, skills and marketing and Thus they will become more competitive and integrated with the global value chain. He said that 135 new tool rooms and technology centers are being opened to develop the skills of entrepreneurs.
- More than 500 delegates from more than 15 countries participated in this summit. In addition to the country sessions with South Korea and Saudi Arabia, a panel discussion on 'Can MSMEs contribute 50 percent to India's GDP?' Was held today. On this occasion, Mr. Gadkari also released the theme paper of the summit 'Making Indian SMEs globally competitive'.
- On the second day of the summit, in addition to country sessions, regional sessions and B2B meetings, workshops on e-commerce digitization will be organized.
2. The 5th Indian International Science Festival will be held in Kolkata from 5 to 8 November 2019-
- The 5th edition of the Indian International Science Festival (IISF) 2019 will be held in Kolkata from 5 to 8 November 2019. The Union Science and Technology, Earth Science and Health and Family Welfare Minister announced this in a press conference in New Delhi today. Addressing this press talk, Dr. Harsh Vardhan said, “The Indian International Science Festival 2019 will actually play an important role in encouraging the love and passion for science among the students by bringing science out of laboratories. Now the time has come to make science a mass movement ”. On this occasion, the Minister of Science and Technology told the people that the theme of this year's festival is 'Reason India - Research, Innovation and Science Empowering the Nation'. After the commencement in 2015, this is the fifth edition of Indian International Science Festival - IISF is. The first and second festivals took place in New Delhi, the third festival in Chennai and the fourth in Lucknow, with more than 1 million people from all over the world.
- IISF 2019 is actually an annual event organized jointly by the Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vigyan Bharati (Vibha) 2019 related to Science and Technology. IISF is a festival to celebrate the achievements of India's scientific and technological progress with students, innovators, craftsmen, farmers, scientists and technocrats from India and abroad.
- IISF 2019 is estimated to host around 12,000 people from India and abroad. The World Bangla Convention Center and Science City in Kolkata will be the major venues for organizing the IISF 2019 events.
- A lot of important programs for IISF 2019 have been series. It will host 28 different programs during this period. Student Science Village will be a major attraction for students here. More than 2500 school students from across the country have been invited here. The Vidyarthi Vigyan Gram Program is linked to the Pradhan Mantri Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana where every MP has been asked to nominate five students and their teachers from this parliamentary constituency for this village.
- The conference of young scientists is another major event in which around 1500 young scientists and researchers are expected to interact with internationally respected experts on various topics. India's scientific and technological progress will also be shown here through several exhibitions, the most prominent of which is the Science Exhibition to be held in Science City. A show of new age technology and an exhibition for PwDs will also be the center of attraction in the event. This year's IISF will also hold Science Literature Fair - Vigyanika where various programs related to several categories will be organized.
3. Inauguration of the sixth India Water Week - 2019
- India is ready to share its best practices on water related matters and is also ready to learn from others. Such discussions help improve water policies and strategies. Addressing the sixth India Water Week 2019, Mr. Shekhawat said that India has launched Israel, Canada, Japan, Germany, U.K. Such as established international cooperation with 14 countries. He assured the international community that any strategy or plan worth sharing was welcome. India is conscious of its responsibility to secure a better future. The theme of this event is Water Cooperation: Challenges of the 21st Century. Japan and the European Union have been made partners for this event. The Ministry of Water Power has been organizing India Water Week since 2012. It is an international program on water related matters. Water resources ministers from various states attended the inaugural event. 1500 delegates from India and abroad participated in the event. It consists of 63 representatives from 28 countries.