The Gist of PIB in English for UPSC, UPPSC/UPPCS, MPSC, BPSC & All State PCS Exams - 19 August 2019
1. Two Day International Conference on Teacher Education -
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister inaugurated the international conference, 'Journey of Teacher Education: Local to Global' today in New Delhi. This two-day conference has been organized under the silver jubilee celebrations of the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE).
- More than 40 experts from India and other countries will discuss topics like current status of teacher education, innovation in teaching, inclusion of information and communication technology in teaching, internationalization of teacher education.
- For the development of India, it is necessary that the skills of teachers are constantly improved. We have identified 1.5 million schools across the country. In addition, 19,000 teacher training institutes have been mapped and uploaded to Google Earth. Today India has 85 lakh teachers, which is more than the population of Finland.
- NCET was established on August 17, 1995. The aim was to develop a teacher education system across the country and to make related standards and rules. The NCTE acts as a consultative body for the Center and State Governments.
2. India's participation in the World Skills International competition should be seen as similar to the Olympic competition
- The 48-member team going from India to join the World Skills Kazan - 2019 was given a grand farewell at a function in the capital Delhi today. It was organized by the National Skill Development Corporation under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, with a view to motivate the partners to stunt their skills around the world. India is the sixth largest team participating in this competition.
- There will be 56 skill competitions in this big event in Russia's Kazan from 22 August to 27 August, in which around 1500 contestants from 60 countries will participate. A 48-member team from India will participate in 44 skill competitions including mobile robotics, prototype modeling, hairdressing, baking, confectionery and pattis, brick making, car painting etc. The team is accompanied by 44 experts and 14 interpreters. In the year 2017, 28 members of India participated in the World Skills International Competition held in Abu Dhabi in which the team won one silver, one bronze and 9 excellence medals.