The Gist of PIB in English for UPSC, UPPSC/UPPCS, MPSC, BPSC & All State PCS Exams - 07 September 2019
1. The President addressed the Clean Festival 2019-
- The President today addressed the Clean Festival at an event organized by the Ministry of Water Power at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. On this occasion, the President presented Swachh Bharat Awards in various categories. A copy of the Swachh Bharat Mission book on the behavioral change message to the President was provided by the Minister of Water Power, Mr. Gajendra Singh Shekhawat. This book has been formally released by Mr. Shekhawat.
- Addressing the people present, the President said that the biggest feature of Swachh Bharat Mission is that it has become a campaign for every Indian, not just a government campaign. Everyone has taken sanitation as their responsibility. He said that the Sustainable Development Goals set by the United Nations are to be achieved by 2030 but India is ready to achieve these sanitation goals 11 years in advance. It is a matter of pride for us that every citizen of the country deserves praise for this achievement.
- He said that cleanliness campaign has created new awareness in our society. He emphasized on achieving the goals of the next phase while strengthening the success of the first phase. He said that we have to focus on the maintenance of the facilities set up during the first phase. For this, we have to adopt the culture of sanitation more deeply.
- The President said that we have to move forward by adopting the broader meaning of cleanliness. For example, providing clean drinking water also comes under the purview of sanitation. Cleanliness is a necessary condition for the success of the Jan Jeevan Mission launched this year by the Government of India.
2. India-US Joint War Exercise-2019 inaugurated-
- Joint war between India and US forces - Exercise-2019 started this morning at Joint Base Lavis MC Cord in Washington, USA. The national flag of both the countries were hoisted at the glittering ceremony and the national anthem of the two countries - "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Jana Gana Mana" - were played. On this occasion, soldiers from both countries stood together and saluted the two senior officials of India and the US who inspected the ceremony.
- American Squad was represented by 5-20 Infantry Battalion of US Army and Assam Regiment of Indian Squad. Major General Xavier Brunsen of the US Army welcomed the Indian troops and highlighted the shared values of democracy, freedom, equality and justice of the two countries.
- The armies of both countries will jointly undertake training, planning and strategic drills for the operations of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force. Experts from both countries will discuss various topics of mutual interest and share their experiences.
3. 28th Indo-Thai Corporate-
- The 28th Indo-Thailand Co-ordinating Patrol (Indo-Thai Corps) will be organized from 5 to 15 September 2019 between the Indian Navy and the Royal Navy of Thailand. The corps will be attended by Indian Navy Kesari and Thailand's Royal Naval Ship Kraburi. In addition, maritime patrol airplanes of both navies will also be involved.
- Indian naval ships and airplanes of Andaman and Nicobar Command have been participating in the corpets once in two years with the Royal Navy of Thailand since the year 2003. The objective of the Indo-Thai corporate is the effective implementation of the United Nations Maritime Law Agreement. This includes protection of natural resources and the marine environment, illegal fishing activities / drug trafficking / pirate activities, prevention of smuggling, illegal immigration and conducting sea search and rescue activities. .
- The 28th Indo-Thai Corporate will strengthen relations between India and Thailand and increase maritime cooperation. Progress will be made towards making the Indian Ocean peaceful through better maritime peacekeeping in the region.
4. 44th Toronto International Film Festival 2019 -
- India's High Commissioner in Canada, Mr. Vikas Swarup, inaugurated the India Pavilion at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2019 today. The inauguration of India Pavilion at TIFF 2019 will provide a platform to showcase Indian cinema in foreign markets as well as provide new business opportunities.
- One of the highlights of this inauguration is the Golden Jubilee of Indian International Film Festival (IFFI) held later this year in Goa. Posters and brochures of Indian International Film Festival 2019 were also released on the occasion. The participants showed keen interest in various events such as verticals, retrospectives, masterclasses and conversation sessions at the festival. Many of them showed their keen interest in coming to Goa as fans and partners of cinema for the technical sessions held at IFFI.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), is participating in the Toronto International Film Festival in Toronto, Canada, between 5–15 September 2019. The Indian delegation consists of Mr. Chaitanya Prasad, Additional Director General of the Film Festival Directorate and Ms. Dhanpreet Kaur, Deputy Secretary (Film), Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
5. Sixth India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue 7-9 September, 2019-
- The Sixth India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED) will be held in New Delhi from 7-9 September 2019. Under this dialogue, round table meetings of Joint Working Groups (JWGs) on infrastructure, energy, high technology, resource conservation, medicine and policy coordination will be held. This will be followed by visits to technology sites and G-2G meetings. The Indian side will be headed by the Chairmen of NITI Aayog and the Chinese side will be led by the NDRC Chairmen. Policy-makers from both sides and representatives of industry and academia will participate in this dialogue.
- The NITI Aayog on behalf of the Indian side and the National Development and Reforms Commission (NDRC) on the Chinese side lead the SED regime. Under this, an annual dialogue is held every year in the capitals of both the countries respectively.
- The SED was formed in December 2010 during the Chinese Prime Minister's visit to India. SED is contributing as an effective mechanism of bilateral cooperation. Under the SED Dialogue, the two sides discuss best practices and sector-specific challenges and opportunities.
- The 5th SED was held in Beijing on April 14, 2018. The Indian delegation was led by Dr. Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog. During this dialogue the progress of joint working groups and possible areas of mutual cooperation were discussed.
6. Practice TSENTR 2019: Preview -
- Practice TSENTR 2019 is part of the annual training cycle organized on a large scale by the Russian military force. Russia conducts large-scale military exercises every year in four military commands - Vostok (East), Japad (West), TSENTR (Central) and Kavkas (South). This year, this exercise will be held from 9 September to 23 September 2019 at Donguz Training Range in Orenburg, Russia. The nature of these annual exercises is becoming international. Belarus participated in Japad 2017 and China and Mongolia participated in Vostok 2018.
- This year, the Central Military Commission of Russia will conduct the exercise TSENTR 2019. Apart from Russia, military teams from China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan will participate in the exercise.
- The purpose of military exercises is to provide participation to the participating military forces to fight international terrorism. Practice TSENTR 2019 will assess the level of preparedness of military teams and help in acquiring the necessary skills.
- There will be two modules under the practice TSENTR 2019. The first module will have counter-terror operations, thwarting air strikes and protective measures while the second module will focus on aggressive combat operations.