The Gist of PIB in English for UPSC, UPPSC/UPPCS, MPSC, BPSC & All State PCS Exams - 03 September 2019
1. The Joint Annual Quality Meeting (JNAQC) of the Navy will be held on 05 September 2019 in Visakhapatnam-
- The Navy's Joint Annual Quality Meeting (JNAQC) will be organized on 5 September 2019 by Naval Quality Assurance Establishments under the aegis of the Director General Quality Assurance (DGQA) of the Ministry of Defense under the theme 'Transforming the QA paradigm: Opportunities and Challenges'. Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command, will be the chief guest of this annual function. The meeting is expected to provide a vigorous atmosphere to inspire discussion on all aspects related to the change of the QA paradigm. And all stakeholders will benefit from the exchange of ideas and best practices from different fields.
2. UNCCD COP-14 conference started-
- The 12-day 14th Conference of Parties (COP-14) under the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification started today at India Expo Center & Mart, Greater Noida. Giving information to media persons in the presence of UNCCD Executive Secretary Mr. Ibrahim Thiyav and Minister of State Mr. Babul Supriyo and other dignitaries, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Mr. Prakash Javadekar said that awareness and people's participation on a wide scale is the need of the hour. . Whether it is climate change or desertification, human actions have damaged the balance of nature. Now people feel that if there is some harm from human actions, then that loss can be reduced by positive human actions and we can give a better world to the generations to come. Hopefully about 7200 of 197 countries Delegates will attend this conference. Representatives include ministers, government representatives, representatives of non-governmental organizations, scientists, women and youth. About 30 decisions will be taken at the conference. These decisions will strengthen the policies of land use all over the world and will also help in dealing with the dangers of drought, dust storm, sand.
- UNCCD is an international agreement on good maintenance of land. It helps people, communities and countries in ensuring adequate food, water and energy through inclusive land management.
3. 72 meetings of the WHO Regional Committee for Southeast Asia -
- The inaugural session was also attended by 8 Health Ministers, Health and Family Welfare Secretary from 11 countries of WHO South East Asia Region, Smt Preeti Sudan, WHO South East Asia Regional Director Dr. Poonam Kshetrapal Singh. This is the second time that India is organizing a regional committee meeting.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan emphasized on the right and healthy nutritious diet and said that the government is to sensitize people to healthy eating, tackle the problem of malnutrition, overcome obesity and accelerate malnutrition free India campaign. The month of September is being celebrated as 'Nutrition Month'. Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that unsafe food and nutritious food intake drives the cycle of disease and malnutrition especially it has adverse effects on newborns, old and sick people. He said that India is going through a period of epidemic in which non-infectious diseases are being caused by infectious diseases and food related diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity are increasing rapidly. He expressed happiness that the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has adopted a 'food system approach' to ensure safe and healthy eating of citizens. He said that in this approach regulatory and capacity building measures have been linked to consumer empowerment measures. Citizens are being sensitized through the 'Eat Right India' mass movement. Its tag line is - Eating right is a better life. He said that the right food and drink improves the quality of life. He said that an important pillar of our health policy is India's resolve to prevent and enhance health care.
- He thanked cricketer Virat Kohli for launching the campaign 'Eat right, stay fit then India super fit'. He said that the Hon'ble Prime Minister launched the Fit India movement on the occasion of National Sports Day. This campaign aims to encourage people to include physical activity and sports in their daily lives.
- He said that the 'Eat Right' campaign will help fight lifestyle diseases like high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes.
4. Maritime phase of Defense Correspondent Course 2019 concluded in Mumbai-
- The Marine and Coast Guard Phase of the 2019 edition of the Defense Correspondent Course concluded on 31 August 2019 in Mumbai. The course was conducted by Western Naval Command, Mumbai and Combination Maritime Warfare Center, Mumbai. The purpose of this course is to make journalists aware of the functioning and importance of the Navy and to form a group of journalists who understand the armed forces.
- The Naval and Coast Guard phase of the Defense Correspondent Course commenced on 26 August, the first three days of which participants were made aware of the organization, roles and responsibilities of the Navy, Coast Guard and maritime systems. The participants were taken to the maritime shipyard Mumbai and were briefed about the vessel. They were briefed about naval submarines and warships and were also briefed about the Coast Guard. The participants were taken to the Joint Operations Center and briefed about the specifics and functioning of the coastal security system. Some participants were also given the opportunity to engage in naval activities going on at sea.
- The Navy and Coast Guard phase of the Defense Correspondent course concluded with a farewell ceremony in which participants and instructors described the stage as successful. The participants then went to Chandigarh to complete the next phase of the course with the Air Force.