- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched digitally launch the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).
- Prime Minister also launched e-Gopala App, a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers.
PRADHAN MANTRI MATSYA SAMPADA YOJANA
- The Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) is a flagship scheme for focused and sustainable development of fisheries sector in the country with an estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crores for its implementation during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories, as a part of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Package.
- The investment of Rs. 20,050 crores under PMMSY is the highest ever in the fisheries sector.
- Out of this, an investment of about Rs 12340 crores is proposed for beneficiary-oriented activities in Marine, Inland fisheries and Aquaculture and about Rs 7710 crores investment for Fisheries Infrastructure.
- PMMSY scheme primarily focuses on adopting ‘Cluster or Area based approaches’ and creation of Fisheries clusters through backward and forward linkages. Special focus will be given for employment generation activities such as seaweed and ornamental fish cultivation. It emphasizes on interventions for quality brood, seed and feed, special focus on species diversification, critical infrastructure, marketing networks etc.
- PMMSY aims at enhancing fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonne by 2024-25, increasing fisheries export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crore by 2024-25, doubling of incomes of fishers and fish farmers, reducing post-harvest losses from 20-25% to about 10% and generation of additional 55 lakhs direct and indirect gainful employment opportunities in fisheries sector and allied activities.
- This scheme will improve the current framework of the chain from ranch entryway to retail outlet.
- PMMSY will expand the development of food preparing part in the nation.
- It will build GDP, Employment and venture.
- This Scheme help in decreasing the gigantic wastage of horticulture items.
- It will help in giving better costs to ranchers and twofold their salary.
- Saddling of fisheries potential in an economical, capable, comprehensive and evenhanded way
- Improving fish creation and efficiency through development, heightening, broadening and beneficial use of land and water
- Modernizing and reinforcing of meriting chain – post-reap the executives and quality improvement
- Multiplying fishers and fish ranchers earnings and age of work
- Improving commitment to Agriculture GVA and fares
- Social, physical and financial security for fishers and fish ranchers
- Active fisheries management and administrative structure
IMPACT OF THE PMMSY
- The scheme will have the following impact on the overall community of fisheries in India:-
- The scheme will help in enhancing fish production from 137.58 lakh metric tons (2018-19) to 220 lakh metric tons by 2024-25.
- The scheme will sustain average annual growth of about 9% in fish production
- The scheme will help in boosting an increase in the contribution of GVA of the fisheries sector to the Agriculture GVA from 7.28% in 2018-19 to about 9% by 2024-25.
- The scheme will double export earnings from Rs.46,589 crores (2018-19) to about Rs.1,00,000 crores by 2024-25.
- The scheme will improve productivity in aquaculture from the present national average of 3 tonnes to about 5 tonnes per hectare.
- The scheme will decrease the post-harvest losses from the reported 20-25% to about 10%.
- The scheme will help in the improvement of domestic fish consumption from about 5-6 kg to about 12 kg per capita.
- The scheme will create about 55 lakh direct and indirect employment possibilities in the fisheries sector along with the supply and value chain.
- E-Gopala App is a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers. At present no digital platform is available in the country for farmers managing livestock including buying and selling of disease free germplasm in all forms (semen, embryos, etc); availability of quality breeding services (Artificial Insemination, veterinary first aid, vaccination, treatment etc) and guiding farmers for animal nutrition, treatment of animals using appropriate ayurvedic medicine/ethno veterinary medicine.
- There is no mechanism to send alerts (on due date for vaccination, pregnancy diagnosis, calving etc) and inform farmers about various government schemes and campaigns in the area. The e- Gopala App will provide solutions to farmers on all these aspects.
OTHER INAUGURATIONS RELATED TO FISHERIES SECTOR
- Establishment of Fish Brood Bank at Sitamarhi,
- Establishment of Aquatic Disease Referral Laboratory at Kishanganj.
- Inaugurate one-unit fish feed mill at Madhepura under Blue Revolution.
- Inaugurate two units of ‘Fish on Wheels’ assisted at Patna under Blue Revolution.
- Inaugurate the Comprehensive Fish Production Technology Centre at Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University, Pusa, and Bihar.